English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can anyone confirm the name of the term used for the number of items in the terms singular, plural, etc.?

Does singular or plural indicate the cardinality of a part of the sentence, or is there a more appropriate word for the term cardinality?

E.G. When "We went to the store" has a plural subject, does plural refer to the cardinality of the subject, or is a different word used to refer to the fact that the count is more than one?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The word you are looking for is plurality.

1 the fact or state of being plural : some languages add an extra syllable to mark plurality. (NOAD)

share|improve this answer
Really helpful- thanks!! – A B Apr 27 '12 at 17:34

In linguistics, singular, dual, multal, and plural are all types of grammatical number. (As an interesting side note, in English, the grammatical category of plural doesn't always correspond to the natural English meaning of plural (e.g., 1.0 pens).)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.