English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to write a letter to someone that has a Ph.D. What is the most correct way of addressing to that person?
- Dear Mr. [Name]
- Dear Mr. [Name], Ph.D.,
- ...something else...

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Robusto, Matt E. Эллен, Jasper Loy, FrustratedWithFormsDesigner, Mitch Apr 26 '12 at 14:20

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Dear Dr. _____ (as should be obvious) – Eugene Seidel Apr 26 '12 at 14:11
up vote 4 down vote accepted
  • Dear Doctor [Name]



Where appropriate:

Dear Professor [Name]

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.