I am looking for an expression which is somewhat of a merger of "any port in a storm" and "can't beat the ass so he/she beats the saddle"
Examples of when you would use it include:
- UFC championships boasting about B or C actors/musicians/athletes in attendance as if it were a heavy weight boxing championship with A list actors.
- Relatively rich members of community (ie. 1 million dollars) being pointed out at local mall as if they were billionaires.
- Foreign celebrities acting like divas at family events.
- A doctor claiming that a lawyer is not that educated.
- A lawyer claiming that an accountant is not that educated.
- A accountant claiming that a real estate agent is not that educated.
- Senators would look down on the plebs the same way the imperial family would look down on them.
EDIT: I got several complaints that this question is too vague, so allow my to be more specific:
What is at least one expression one can use to describe a member of society's ability/desire to emulate the actions of other members of society which are of higher status/standing/worth/fame.
One example would be a conservative person, hypothetically, looking down on homosexuals because they perceive them to be inferior. Those homosexuals would then, hypothetically, look down on transvestites because they perceive them to be inferior.
Is there an expression to describe this desire to live in one's own universe and be blissfully unaware of the fact that there are many other people who are, by some arbitrary definition, better than one's self?
EDIT: Here is an example exchange between two friends to illustrate what I am looking for
- Bob: Hey, do you remember that fat guy/ugly girl Jack/Jill?
- Bill: Ya
- Bob: Well he/she wouldn't stop talking about how fat/ugly John/Jane was. I realize John/Jane is fatter/uglier than Jack/Jill, but c'mon man!?!?
- Bill: Well, I suppose even dead rats need truckloads of tampon factories.
What would be an appropriate expression to put in place of "even dead rats need truckloads of tampon factories" to illustrate the fact that everyone dumps on someone else?