English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We speak of madness when someone is in a fit of anger, and being smitten when someone is in love(with someone), etc. But what about when someone just can't stop laughing? i.e, when someone is "cracking-up" - is there a more formal word?

share|improve this question
This brings to mind maniacal laughter. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Apr 24 '12 at 18:46
@cornbreadninja - Exactly! Isn't it akin to being mad in that it's uncontrollable? Like that famous video on YT of the talkshow guy laughing at a castrated man's voice>? – Adel Apr 24 '12 at 18:48
Stupidity. You can't think and laugh at the same time. – Mitch Apr 25 '12 at 1:09
up vote 7 down vote accepted

We speak of hysterical laughter.

share|improve this answer


share|improve this answer
@Adel, that, combined with a thesaurus, should get you started. – zpletan Apr 24 '12 at 18:19

They are amused. Defined as being entertained by something.

share|improve this answer

I would say, if the news anchor was uncontrollably laughing at a castrated man, his sense of humor would be macabre. Thus, placing his uncontrolled laughter at deranged laughter.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.