Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a better alternative to ambiguous for a word with a wide range of meanings, difficult to find, because they become different in connection with person's opinion.

share|improve this question
'Fallacious' is not relevant to 'a wide range of meanings'. It means 'wrong'. –  Mitch Apr 24 '12 at 16:36
See also: –  Michael Durrant Oct 4 '14 at 18:40

4 Answers 4

Polysemy - "a diversity of meanings"

A word is polysemous if it has a diversity of meanings.

share|improve this answer

If a word is used in a sentence and the meaning of that word in that sentence is not obvious, I would say the sentence is ambiguous, rather than saying the word is ambiguous. For example, "I overlooked the valley." (Did you look at it, or completely miss noticing it?) or "Man was here first" (Was a man here before a woman, or was mankind here before an animal?)

A word is polysemous if it has multiple meanings, but that often doesn't mean ambiguous -- it is almost always easy to determine the meaning of a word from its context.

share|improve this answer
However, @Jeremy, I think OP's idea was basically what polysemy denotes. –  Kris Apr 24 '12 at 15:22
@Kris could be. It looked to me that he was looking for "sneaky" phrasing. –  Jeremy Apr 24 '12 at 15:25
@Jeremy - Polysemous is technical (linguists) use. If the context is not a technical one, then readers are very likely to be confused or at least taken aback. However, in 'normal' speaking, no one would have the slightest clue what you're talking about if you say 'polysemous'. –  user19148 Apr 24 '12 at 15:49
"a word with a wide range of meanings, difficult to find, because they become different in connection with person's opinion." Polysemy describes it perfectly, because depending on the person, it could have any of a range of meanings. –  Nick Anderegg Apr 25 '12 at 5:19


is a good single word to describe a word having multiple meanings. 'Polysemous' is the technically correct word but is jargon for linguists.

Other words for indicating that one meaning has not been specified are



but they aren't specifically about multiple meanings.

But one can be direct and just say 'That word has multiple meanings'.

share|improve this answer

Not a single word, but "open to interpretation" is a phrase that means what you're trying to say.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.