English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a single word that can be put before "report" meaning a report given to a boss at a higher rank by bypassing the immediate boss?

share|improve this question
In the military, asking to confer with someone more than one level up the chain of command is known as "requesting mast"... I don't know that calling a similar report a "mast report" would be widely understood, if it's even used in military circles. – Hellion Apr 23 '12 at 4:28
This is an interesting question. Looking at the answers below (and there are 6 at the time I'm writing this), some are invoking phases I've heard before; others are mentioning "well-understood" terminologies that I don't recall ever hearing. My point? There may not be a concise, universally-understood way to express this. Therefore, even if you select some shortened terminology, you might want to parenthetically define what you mean, such as: Fill out a skip-level report (which will go directly to the supervisor of the supervisor of the individual). – J.R. Apr 23 '12 at 9:16

In some circles this type of report may be referred to as a skip-level report.

share|improve this answer
Skip-level is very common in the American business community, referring to one's immediate supervisor's boss. – Adam Musch Apr 23 '12 at 14:48
Interesting. I've heard of "skip-level meetings", but always thought they referred to doing it the other way around: upper management wanting to talk directly to employees without mid-level management involved, i.e. top-down skipping rather than bottom-up skipping. – Amos M. Carpenter Apr 23 '12 at 23:41

I don't know of a single word to describe what you're asking, but the phrase "to go over someone's head" usually means to skip (at least) one rank in the hierarchy and address an issue to someone higher up.

Depending on how formal you're trying to be, perhaps you could use this to coin the phrase "an over-the-head report" - people should be able to figure out what it means, but as far as I'm aware it's not an existing word.

share|improve this answer

Another colloquial phrase (from the military, I believe) is "jumping the chain of command," in case you can use a phrase instead of a single word.

share|improve this answer

I'm not 100% sure of the context here. If you feel that this was the wrong thing for the person to do, you could say it was subversive report. That is, if you think it was given to the superior for the purpose of subverting an established chain of command.

share|improve this answer

You might also refer to it (figuratively and imprecisely) as an out-of-band report, or as a back-channel report, in the sense "An unofficial communications channel used to make informal or subversive negotiations". Or, using a word from your question, as a bypass report or an end-around report.

share|improve this answer

A generic name, well-worn and understood, is "direct report".

"He submitted a direct report to the manager in case of a major client and regular reports to his supervisor".

This has no negative connotations, does not refer to superceding the immediate superior as such, but conveys the simple fact. Yet by implication, all these constructions can be made, depending on the reader. It is as if it is up to the reader to draw his own interpretations.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.