English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the English word describing a long thin loaf of French bread, which crust is appetisingly golden and crunchy, and the bread inside is light and fluffy?

share|improve this question
I've read through some of your questions and answers, and they all are riveted on food. You say you are a foreign cook, which makes it understandable, but I still think that you should refer to the cooking section of StackExchange instead of EL&U – Paola Apr 20 '12 at 18:21
@Paola - Why have you used "through" rather than "across"? – Elberich Schneider Apr 20 '12 at 19:37
@ Anglo Saxon. I used "read through" as per its definition of "to read something carefully from beginning to end in order to check details". I'm not aware of any usage of "read across". – Paola Apr 22 '12 at 22:54
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Frankly I think most Americans call it, "a loaf of French bread" or simply "a French bread".

share|improve this answer
Or baguette, at least in the Northeast US where there are large numbers of francophones. – Kit Z. Fox Apr 20 '12 at 17:26
I don't know that I'd go as far as most- certainly many do but baguette is not an uncommon word in America. It is frequently seen on menus along with other loan words like croissant. Like here for example- if surfers can understand it- it can't be too foreign. – Jim Apr 20 '12 at 17:28
I'm not sure how you'd find statistics on this. I expect an ngram search would find many more instances of "loaf" than "baguette", but most of those would be referring to bread in general. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a regionalism, but in New York, Ohio, and Michigan, where I've spent most of my life, I don't recall ever hearing someone use the word "baguette". I've heard it on television, that's about it. – Jay Apr 23 '12 at 14:29

It's the same as it is in French: a baguette

share|improve this answer
+1: baguette is pretty much international – nico Apr 20 '12 at 19:01

In the UK we call it a stick of French bread (baton or baguette are a bit "middle-class")

share|improve this answer
so 'stick' is upper or lower class? – Mitch Apr 20 '12 at 18:07
Eugh. I detest people calling it a 'stick' of bread. It's a 'baguette'. – Jez Apr 20 '12 at 18:29
@Jez,Mitch: I suspect most Brits wouldn't know the difference between a baguette and a ficelle (which I much prefer). I lived in France for a year, and I've nothing against the people or their language, but I do think it's slightly posh/affected to use their words when we've got perfectly good ones of our own. Though of course that's why we have pork, beef, and mutton - French words for what our Anglo-Saxon ancestors had to rear, slaughter, and cook for their posh Norman overlords! – FumbleFingers Apr 20 '12 at 23:22
You mean bourgeois? ^)^ – Robusto Apr 21 '12 at 10:26
@Robusto: Only a bit, but yeah. Around the time "English" really got going (Chaucer...Shakespeare), "courtly" language was French, and "churchly" was Latin. There's still a bit of a tendency to cast Anglo Saxon as the language of the peasantry (I f**king well hope OP reads this and recognises I'm rooting for his monicker as well as our shared tradition! ;) – FumbleFingers Apr 21 '12 at 13:35

It could also be ficelle.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
In the U.S., I think both ficelles and baguettes commonly get called baguettes (although you sometimes see ficelles that are called ficelles). – Peter Shor Apr 21 '12 at 0:08
@PeterShor: There's a bakery a mile from me that sells both. The ficelles are thinner — mostly crust. – Robusto Apr 21 '12 at 1:49
There's a bakery near where I grew up where you can buy a "grande baguette" (a baguette) or a "baguette" (a ficelle). But at least they get the French gender correct. – Peter Shor Apr 21 '12 at 2:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.