English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As in the title, is there a name for a phrase beginning "when something happens..." or "when someone does something...", and if so, what is it?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Matt E. Эллен, FumbleFingers, kiamlaluno, Mitch, tchrist Sep 9 '12 at 23:22

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

-1 research not shown. – MετάEd Sep 2 '12 at 5:54
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Dependent clauses introduced by conjunctions such as when, after, as soon as are called temporal clauses. They are a subset of adverbial clauses that include conditional clauses (if, unless) and concessive clauses (although).

share|improve this answer
Thank you, that sounds like what I was looking for. – cortices Apr 20 '12 at 6:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.