English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How should an official document containing information about exams passed by a person in previous years be called? Are there any differences between "Archival record" and "Archive reference" in the context of this purpose?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

An official document in such a case would be called a record. A reference can be any document or other artifact to which one refer as a source of information. The difference is the "official" nature of the document. One can use an official record as a reference in writing a book, say, but a reference does not have to be an official record of something.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.