English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word to describe locations that are far apart. My sentence is:

The manufacturer uses two _____ locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

share|improve this question
Remote should do the trick, given the context provided by "thus requiring two inspectors". Otherwise stick to far apart. So, "... uses two remote locations..." or "... uses two locations that are far apart...". – Eugene Seidel Apr 18 '12 at 7:20
This is almost right, though it could mean that both locations are remote, as opposed to remote from each other. – Hev Apr 18 '12 at 7:56
Yes it could. That's why I said "given the context". Given that you write "thus requiring two inspectors", remoteness from each other is implied. If these two locations were distant (from you) but close to each other then you would not need two inspectors. CAVEAT-- My suggestions are based on the assumption that there is a headquarters which is in a different place entirely. This assumption has to do with your use of the word "inspectors", which (to me) implies a central place whence inspectors venture forth to do their duty. – Eugene Seidel Apr 18 '12 at 8:08
Maybe distant will work too. – Jakub Zaverka Apr 18 '12 at 8:52

In your example, the necessity of two inspectors arises because there are two plants for the manufacturer. I would go for separate:

The manufacturer uses two separate locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

If you want to talk about the distance of their separation, you could have:

The manufacturer uses two separate locations spaced far apart, thus requiring two inspectors.

Or you could use distant:

The manufacturer uses two distant locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

share|improve this answer
It is this phrase 'spaced far apart' that I was hoping to find a single word for. – Hev Apr 18 '12 at 7:54
Try distant, it should do: The manufacturer uses two distant locations, thus requiring two inspectors. – Bravo Apr 18 '12 at 7:56

As has been pointed out, words like distant or remote don't really work in this case, because they normally mean far away from here (or, perhaps, from the manufacturers headquarters).

A common two-word alternative is widely separated (hyphenated or not according to choice).

share|improve this answer

I see your quandary: words like remote and distant can be construed to mean that the two locations are, say, far apart from a headquarters, as opposed to being faraway from each other. Really, you're looking for an antonym for nearby.

One thesaurus I consulted listed two synonyms for apart as: away from each other, distant from each other, indicating this might be difficult to capture in a single word.

If you want to avoid ambiguity, maybe something like this would work best:

The manufacturer uses two separate and far apart locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

Or maybe:

Because the manufacturer uses two locations sitauated far from each other, two inspectors are required.

Or even:

The manufacturer uses two locations in separate cities, thus requiring two inspectors.

or counties, or states, or provinces, or countries

However, if you're bent on retaining your original construct, and using a single word, I might offer:

The manufacturer uses two spread locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

Or, use separate, as Shyam suggested, and rely on the "thus requiring two inspectors" to provide enough context to imply they are separate but not across town.

share|improve this answer

Could you just say the following?

The manufacturer uses two far-apart locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

(I would use the hyphen in this case for the adjective phrase before the word locations.)

share|improve this answer

My first thought is to say "too disparate locations", though that could be taken to mean not that the places are far apart, but rather that the facilities at those places are different in some way, like one is a factory and the other an office building.

Fumble Fingers suggestion of "widely separated" is probably as clear as you're going to get in a minimum of words.

share|improve this answer
Snap! My first thought was "disparate" too, but I discarded it on the grounds that this really means "very dissimilar" - far apart in appearance or nature, rather than in distance. – FumbleFingers Apr 18 '12 at 17:01

How about something like this?

The manufacturer uses two globalized locations, thus requiring two inspectors.


Or, The manufacturer uses two distant locations, thus requiring two inspectors.

share|improve this answer
Globalized makes me think of locations in two different countries, or even continent, which may not be the case here. – nico Apr 18 '12 at 15:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.