English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The number I am thinking of is 80808. This is a palindrome. However, it is more than a palindrome, because it can be flipped or mirrored and will still read the same way.

Is there a word for this?

share|improve this question
HUH, MA'AM? AVA: dob 18.8.81 lol. – Daniel Harbour Nov 19 '13 at 22:26
up vote 5 down vote accepted

There's a term for words written in such a form that they can be read from another viewpoint, direction or orientation. They are called ambigrams. See the relevant Wikipedia article.

share|improve this answer

I think the word you may want is dihedral. The only numbers that can appear in such a construction are 0, 1, 2, 5, and 8, and the property primarily applies to numbers displayed on a calculator or using LED's.

There are also dihedral letters, namely the capitals H, I, O, and X.

share|improve this answer
What about M, T, U, V, W and Y (depending on font of course)? ;) – njr101 Apr 17 '12 at 12:17
@njr They're not same upside-down. – Andrew Leach Apr 17 '12 at 12:27
Ahhh, I didn't realise what he meant by "flipped". Although you could still have M and W ;) – njr101 Apr 18 '12 at 7:13

I believe the term you are looking for is: mirror-image ambigram

More on Wikipedia...

share|improve this answer
looking at the example of Wiki image on the site, this will only work mirrored, but not flipped. – Codemwnci Apr 17 '12 at 12:34
Yes, but it would be very easy to construct an ambigram that is both a mirror-image ambigram (either horizontally or vertically) and a rotational ambigram. – njr101 Apr 18 '12 at 7:16
Yes, and what is the name for that ? – Dan Jan 29 '15 at 13:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.