English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to say someone dabbles in cooking - is it correct? -is there a better (fancy) way to say it? (this intends to add bit of humor too)

share|improve this question
More context would be helpful here — would "spice things up" be a useful phrase in your case? – jtbandes Apr 14 '12 at 17:24
Its for a decription of my BF for a book. I am to de'scribe his personality. what i wanna say here is he tries to cook :) – Jennie Apr 14 '12 at 18:09

If you want to add a bit of wry humor, you might try a pun. I can't think of a good pun for the verb, but you might try an adjective with a double meaning:

He is an unseasoned cook.

From the dictionary:

unseasoned (adj.)
1. (of food) not flavored with salt, pepper, or other spices or seasonings.
2. (of a person) inexperienced.

share|improve this answer

Dabble in means "to be involved in something in a casual manner." So, yes you can say your boyfriend dabbles in cooking.

You could also say he plays at cooking. Play at means "to do something without being very serious about it." {definition of "play at"}

share|improve this answer
Or plays at being a cook. – cornbread ninja 麵包忍者 Apr 14 '12 at 19:51

Maybe "He's a cooking dilettante"? Wiktionary gives us:

  • An amateur, someone who dabbles in a field out of casual interest rather than as a profession or serious interest.
  • A person with a general but superficial interest in any art or a branch of knowledge. (Sometimes derogatory.)
share|improve this answer

If you want to add some humor, you can say:

He thinks he can cook.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.