English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any term for a person who has changed his name? For example, there was a man who was named "Jacob" when he was born, but when he reached the age of 18 he decided to change his name to "Joseph". Is there any term for this kind of person? Or at least for this kind of practice?

share|improve this question
The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. – JLG Apr 12 '12 at 21:43
@JLG - lol. Of course that was just said because he used an unpronounceable name (as a clever way to get back at a record company he was contractually obligated to). – T.E.D. Apr 12 '12 at 22:15
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The term is "renamed" and the practice is called "renaming" as we read in legal documents.

share|improve this answer

Well, when such changes aren't totally unexpected, (eg: a woman changing her last name upon marriage), the old name is often appended to the new one with a "nee" in the middle. Supposedly this is French for "born as", so it could reasonably be applied in any situation where a person's birth name has been changed.

share|improve this answer
wiktionary says "When used for a man, the masculine form né should be used." – jwpat7 Apr 13 '12 at 1:09
I almost got into that. That's the rule in French. However, we generally don't borrow the gender rules of words when we borrow the words in English. So in the few times you see this "in the wild" attached to a man's name in English, you will typically see both es. People who know the loaner language tend to take the position that we ought to borrow the rules along with the words we borrow, so I'm not surprised to see someone arguing that. – T.E.D. Apr 13 '12 at 14:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.