English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I seem to always have a trouble with this one; what do you call a person that works in a store? A clerk? A sales person? Neither of these sound right. Saying "person that works in the store" doesn't work that well either.

Is there a general single word that I can use that represents "a person that works in a store".

share|improve this question
What kind of store do you mean? Dept store? Grocery store? The answer may vary. Also, many larger stores have cashiers, stockers, and salespersons. – J.R. Apr 7 '12 at 0:38
Just sayin', it should be a person who works in a store. – JLG Apr 7 '12 at 4:11
I remember hearing "floorwalker" as a fairly general term for this, but it may be a dated term. – Hexagon Tiling Apr 7 '12 at 9:35
up vote 7 down vote accepted

When you can't apply any of the fine terms provided here so far:

employee will always work.

share|improve this answer
Yes! Or store employee, if you need to be more specific. – J.R. Apr 7 '12 at 10:35
I like employee too, but "checkout girl" doesn't sound too bad either. Most of the time we encounter the checkout girl/guy when shopping. – TheOne Apr 7 '12 at 21:43

In the UK we have shop assistant but there are more specific terms like checkout girl and the possibly pejorative shelf-stacker, as well as the general shopworker, retail worker and so on. The best word to use probably depends on what your person actually does.

share|improve this answer

In Canada we have:

  • salespersons who sell you items (we used to have salesmen too),
  • cashiers who just work at the cash register and don't assist you in choosing items,
  • managers, and
  • specialty workers such as butchers, bakers, etc.

So there isn't a single word that would cover all persons working in a store. I suppose salesperson might be the most common position.

share|improve this answer

I'm pretty sure you are looking for the word "associate."

According to Merriam-Webster's 3rd entry for 'associate" (noun):

2.b. employee, worker

This is often used in conjunction with a modifier to make it more specific, such as:

Sales Associate, Retail Associate, etc.

but is frequently used by itself as well.

"I'm waiting for an associate to check the storeroom for my size."

share|improve this answer

I think clerk is fairly general.

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Oct 7 '13 at 10:37

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.