English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What's the name of the part of the dentist's chair used for pouring water into a glass so the patient can wash his/her mouth?

share|improve this question
Somebody should ask a dentist or dental hygienist. I think of it as a 'spitbowl' – Mitch Mar 30 '12 at 13:25
@Mitch: No, that's where you spit after you rinse, I sure hope that your dentist doesn't fill pour into your cup from the contents of the spitbowl. ;) – FrustratedWithFormsDesigner Mar 30 '12 at 14:57
@FrustratedWithFormsDesigner: hmmm...yes...I thought of the whole assembly (the spigot and bowl as one thing and named the bowl). – Mitch Mar 30 '12 at 15:17
Many American dental setups have no chair-attached water-pouring-thing, but instead have a water-bottle + pump + hose + spigot-on-handpiece + suction device attached to the dental chair. The dentist or hygenist presses one handpiece-lever to squirt water into patient's mouth, then another lever to suction the water back out after patient swishes the water. No sink or bowl on or near the chair. – jwpat7 Mar 30 '12 at 18:26

It's called a Cuspidor. The entire unit together with the facet and the sink.

I'm a dentist :-) so I know.

share|improve this answer

A slightly specialized water dispenser? Maybe call it a "dentist's water dispenser"?

share|improve this answer

You seem to be asking about the faucet and not the basin, so that's what I suggest.

share|improve this answer

I have heard my dentist call it a spout, as in "Now you can fill that cup with water from the spout."

share|improve this answer
I've deleted my answer since it doesn't actually answer the question. Yours comes from a dentist and makes sense, therefore +1 – Irene Mar 30 '12 at 15:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.