English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Law term that means that some document, paper or deal has no power in law.

In Russian it is ничтожность (ничтожный договор), in Ukrainian it's нікчемність (нікчемний договір).

I've already asked it on otvety.google.ru but I'm not sure that they are right.

share|improve this question
illawgical. ;-) – MrZander Mar 29 '12 at 0:09
up vote 10 down vote accepted

The phrase in UK/US law is null and void (see meaning 7).

null and void: without legal force or effect; not valid: This contract is null and void.

share|improve this answer
That works in US too. You could also say "unenforceable". – Jay Mar 28 '12 at 15:30

It is as Matt said null and void, but only if at some point it were legally valid. If it never was valid, you would describe it as not legally binding.

share|improve this answer
Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. – Matt E. Эллен Mar 28 '12 at 17:04
Equivalently, it is "a nullity", which works in English and is the literal translation of ничтожность. – Mark Beadles Mar 29 '12 at 2:35
Non-binding is another related option, as in Congress passed a non-binding resolution opposing the practice — i.e. Congress said they oppose the practice, but they didn't enact a law against it. – choster Mar 29 '12 at 17:11

In Standards documents, you'll find the term "non-normative," referring to passages which are merely explanatory and not to be considered part of the requirements specified by the text.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.