Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Do I say "I study computer science," or "I study Computer Science"? Similarly, "I really liked that computer science course," vs. "I really liked that Computer Science course."

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 13 down vote accepted

It depends. If you are referring to the title of a course or a major field of study, in a formal sense, then capitalize it.

I took Computer Science 101, which was a survey course.

Otherwise, just leave it uncapitalized.

I'm interested in studying computer science.

share|improve this answer
do you have any source for that, or is it just by usage that you figured it out ? –  Clément Jun 15 at 8:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.