English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know palindrome is the term for a word that works backwards and forwards, but is there a similar term for a word that can be flipped/reversed and remain the same?

For example, the word SWIMS or the number 6009.

share|improve this question
This has nothing to do with English Language or Usage. This is about glyph shapes in typography. Next, model trains? – John Lawler Mar 26 '12 at 14:31
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The examples, SWIMS and 6009, aren't the same upside down, so I assume you mean under a 180 rotation. I've always heard them referred to as rotational ambigrams.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.