English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a word which refers to any number of items that exist as measured quantities in something? This is like measurand, similar to how operand is some kind of modifier to an overall o.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Will Hunting, FumbleFingers, jwpat7, Mitch, kiamlaluno Mar 22 '12 at 13:54

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Measurand is a valid word, popular in technical circles but has not entered the dictionaries yet. – Bravo Mar 18 '12 at 12:05
Without more context, this is Not a Real Question. It depends entirely on the particular kind of items we're talking about, and the the measuring/packaging/delivery system involved. – FumbleFingers Mar 18 '12 at 16:36
Wow, I thought I'd made the word up. I was hoping for a general response as I was completely stuck for ideas on what word was escaping my mental clutches – deed02392 Mar 18 '12 at 18:31
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The word "measure" itself can mean a measured quantity. From NOAD:

measure n
2 a standard unit used to express the size, amount, or degree of something: a furlong is an obsolete measure of length | tables of weights and measures.
• a system or scale of such units: the original dimensions were in imperial measure.
• a particular amount of something: a measure of egg white as a binding agent.
• a standard official amount of an alcoholic drink as served in a licensed establishment.

share|improve this answer
How exasperating are these upstart dictionaries that refer to furlongs as "obsolete", when everyone knows the word is in common use for lengths of horse races, and also in the common expression furlongs per fortnight! (That linked page contains a gaffe of its own, referring to a rod as an "obscure unit of length measuring 16.5 feet." But rod is so far from being obscure that, for example, canoe portage lengths are given in rods without even saying so.) – jwpat7 Mar 18 '12 at 17:36

Absent context, terms like datum ("a measurement of something on a scale understood by both the recorder (a person or device) and the reader"), number, statistic ("a single item in a statistical study"), measurement ("magnitude (or extent or amount) determined by measurement"), and previously-suggested measure and measurand are as good as any.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.