Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When you break your leg or any of your appendages you get a binding, you know, the white thing to fix your arm or leg. What is that called?

I find the words gypsum, cast and plastery in the dictionary but from searching pictures on Google these don't seem to be the right words. (Also, in what context do you use these?)

I want to find a picture on Google where a group of people got these bindings on their legs, arms, necks, etc. What is the right word?

share|improve this question
I call the thing you get at the hospital when you break your leg a bill. :) –  tchrist Mar 11 '12 at 0:16
@tchrist, I'm three month's late, but I was going to say the same thing: :-) –  TecBrat Jun 3 '12 at 11:28
@tchrist, your nationality is showing! –  Beejamin Jan 15 at 11:59

2 Answers 2

up vote 11 down vote accepted

Generally, that "white thing" is called a cast (see definition 6c).

A rigid casing (as of fiberglass or of gauze impregnated with plaster of paris) used for immobilizing a usually diseased or broken part.

Like this:


share|improve this answer
thanks. Now, what is the best term to search a group of people in casts ? If I use the terms "group cast" google find a bunch of movie related pictures, none of them in cast ! –  Walkman Mar 10 '12 at 21:40
@Walkman It is unlikely that you will find such an image; it's not a very common thing to search for. Does it need to be a group? –  Mahnax Mar 10 '12 at 21:41
@Walkman: Is that your real question, to find a group of people in casts? and so what term to use to search for it? Do you think there are ofte people with casts who hang out together? Search for 'patient osteopathy'. (as an aside, 'cast' also means the group of players in a theatrical performance) –  Mitch Mar 10 '12 at 21:46
@Mahnax I know it's rare, but it is findable :) and yes, I need a group. –  Walkman Mar 10 '12 at 21:51
Also it can be called a plaster cast, which might help searching, next time. –  Matt Эллен Mar 10 '12 at 22:16

It's a cast, often made of plaster or fiberglass.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.