English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like a good word for "current item in a succession of items".

Let's say I am looking ahead, towards my successor. Back behind me, I can also see my predecessor. What am I?

I'd hate to use the overly-verbose "current object of focus among a succession of such objects", and yet "current" doesn't quite cut it either. "Currentssor"?

The context is programming (coming up with descriptive variable names) but I'm really interested in what's true in general.

share|improve this question

I think incumbent is what you're looking for.

holding an indicated position, role, office, etc., currently: the incumbent officers of the club.


share|improve this answer
I like this answer, and I've up-voted it, but perhaps "one sitting" (or, "sitting item") should also be considered (as in "a sitting president"). – Hexagon Tiling Mar 9 '12 at 23:32

A locus is the position of a gene on a chromosome.

As part of a sequence, a locus has both predecessor and successor (either of which, as in any sequence, can be null).

When talking about, say, a linked list, I find it more elegant and concise to say the locus of the list iterator rather than the node to which list iterator is currently pointing.

Commenters have pointed out the hazards of borrowing an overloaded term like locus; if you want to use a more standard term, current element is well-understood.

share|improve this answer
I agree with locus, though just current is fine. In the context of iterators, referent is perhaps more appropriate, as an iterator is a generalised pointer. – Jon Purdy Mar 9 '12 at 7:43
I would caution against the use of locus, which has a different meaning in mathematics (related in that both refer to position, but in mathematics a locus is a set of points which have some particular property, not a single point in a sequence) – John Bartholomew Mar 9 '12 at 10:21
Jon, referent seems to be what I was looking for. Care to submit it as an answer? – machine yearning Mar 9 '12 at 17:20

You are a referrer referencing your predecessor and successor http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/referrer

share|improve this answer
That's a bit of an "out of the box" thinking. – Mari-Lou A Feb 24 '15 at 19:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.