English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I am your guardian, what does that make you to me?

share|improve this question
“Daily Mail” perhaps? – Konrad Rudolph Mar 9 '12 at 10:08
Inverse? I think you mean "complement". The "inverse" of a guardian would be something like "stalker". – Hexagon Tiling Mar 9 '12 at 23:15
up vote 30 down vote accepted

Your dependent or ward (credit to amcnabb), both of which are legal entities, but both of which apply outside the legal sphere.

Dependent connotes a relationship in which the guardian is both provider and protector, whereas ward implies that the guardian is the protector, but not much else.

share|improve this answer

A traditional word for this would be "ward" (for example, in Dicken's Bleak House).

share|improve this answer
The first example that occurs to me is Dick Grayson, aka Robin, who was always called Bruce Wayne's, aka Batman's, "ward" in the old comic books. – Jay Mar 8 '12 at 19:04

I like charge:

: a person or thing committed to the care of another

from wiktionary:

The scope of someone's responsibility.

The child was in the nanny's charge.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.