English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Is there a single term for “nieces and nephews”?
Is there a gender-neutral word for [aunts and uncles], parents' siblings?

The non-gender name for 'mother' is 'parent', for 'son' it is 'child'. But is there a non-gender word for 'uncle' or 'aunt'? Or is there no better definition than 'parent-sibling'?

If there is a word I would like to know the inverse as well, i.e. for 'nephew/niece'.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Matt E. Эллен, RegDwigнt Mar 6 '12 at 11:17

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Nibling is:

A nephew or niece, especially in the plural or as a gender-neutral term.

I don't think I can help with the other term.

share|improve this answer
That's a cool word; I had never seen it before. I also checked several other dictionary sources, and couldn't find it listed. (I'm not trying to discredit the answer, but I do think it's worth noting that nibling is not a well-known term, and may be considered non-standard or slang). – J.R. Mar 6 '12 at 10:35
I agree with J.R. ; this is clearly an attempt to coin a gender-neutral term where one did not exist in normal English. It seems to be understood in specialised anthropological circles, but not outside (the OED has never heard of it). Use with caution, but it's always nice to encounter a new word. – TimLymington Mar 6 '12 at 10:48
I agree that it is a cool word, but since it's only semi standard, I will write "Nephew/Niece" in my user interface instead of "Nibling". Thanks! – Mads Mar 6 '12 at 10:54
I coined it many years ago, but I'm not surprised that other people have done so too! – Colin Fine Mar 6 '12 at 14:52
It's a technical term in kinship anthropology, which hasn't made it into the popular lexicon yet. – John Lawler Mar 6 '12 at 16:34

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.