English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top


If a practice is obsolete, it may be in the process of being replaced.

Please provide a single word for "in the process of being replaced".

share|improve this question
Won't replacement do? – Armen Ծիրունյան Mar 4 '12 at 13:24
If you're looking for an adjective, try obsolescent. – Robusto Mar 4 '12 at 13:35
I suspect there is no such word. What's wrong with "undergoing replacement"? – Peter Shor Mar 4 '12 at 13:48
Sometimes I say that a practice is "fading from use" or "waning" or "is less favored." – Pete Wilson Mar 4 '12 at 20:30

Preempt has one definition meaning to take the place of; displace

Then there are also these synonyms:

supersede: 1. To take the place of; replace. 2. To cause to be set aside, especially to displace as inferior or antiquated.

supplant: To displace and substitute for (another); this term seems to be replacement through scheming or force

The noun forms would be preemption, supersedure, and supplantation.

The second definition of supersedure is interesting. From Merriam Webster: 1. The act or process of superseding. 2. Replacement of a queen bee that has grown old or weak by one that is younger or more vigorous.

I learned something new!

share|improve this answer
I like superseded as well, as in, "The new process supersedes the obsolete one." +1 for the apiarian reference; that's a honey of a definition. – J.R. Mar 4 '12 at 21:04

Maybe obsoleting or obsolescent (as @Robusto suggests) is what you're looking for?

Usage notes:

To obsolete is often used in computing and other technical fields to indicate an effort to remove or replace something.

share|improve this answer

You can't very well replace a passive construction with a single word here. If you want an alternative to replace, you may want to consider oust.

share|improve this answer

"Deprecated" in the sense of "permitted but not approved of or recommended", carries this concept by implication, and may or may not suit depending upon you precise circumstances.

share|improve this answer

Frequently, a null phrase is a suitable replacement for in the process of. The example "If a practice is obsolete, it may be in the process of being replaced" becomes "If a practice is obsolete, it may be being replaced". As substitutes for being replaced, one has many choices, depending on intended meaning and desired level of formality. For example, with transitory the example becomes "If a practice is obsolete, it may be transitory". Also consider in purgatory, sidestepped, for it, smoked.

share|improve this answer

Updated. Hence,

If a practice is obsolete, it may be in the process of being replaced.


If a practice is obsolete, it may be updated.

If it's important to emphasize a lengthy or drawn-out process, you could say:

If a practice is being replaced, it may be updated over time.

share|improve this answer

If a practice is obsolete, it may be deprecated.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.