English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was writing something in English when the word clumsy came to my mind to describe a French concept "inélégant". However, I use clumsy to describe an object and I am not sure it is appropriate. Here is the beginning of the sentence:

While active tags are big and clumsy

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by FumbleFingers, Kris, RegDwigнt Mar 14 '12 at 22:03

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

green dreams can sleep furiously – Matt E. Эллен Mar 2 '12 at 16:10
I have no problem with "clumsy." You might want to consider changing "big," though. "Big" is a rather weak and imprecise adjective; I'm confident you could be more descriptive and improve the sentence at the same time. – J.R. Mar 2 '12 at 16:23
Thank for the advice, what do you think about:"While active tags are outsized and clumsy, passive counterparts are unobtrusive and can even be built-in the object. " – Zonata Mar 2 '12 at 16:27
General reference. – FumbleFingers Mar 2 '12 at 16:36
@Zonata: I think I like "oversized" better than "outsized," but, quite frankly, I don't know enough about active tags to provide a definitive answer. How about "unnecessarily large" - might that work? – J.R. Mar 2 '12 at 17:12
up vote 9 down vote accepted

Yes, I think people refer to objects as "clumsy" all the time. Like, "The furniture box was big and clumsy." "COBOL is a clumsy language." Etc.

share|improve this answer
+1 for COBOL reference. – hydroparadise Mar 2 '12 at 22:17

Yes, objects can be "clumsy". Merriam-Webster includes this definition:

2: awkward or inefficient in use or construction : unwieldy

share|improve this answer

Clumsy is fine. Cumbersome comes to mind too.

dialect : burdensome, troublesome

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.