Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was looking for a word that means "25 years" in the way that "bicentennial" refers to 200 years.

Wikipedia suggests "Quadranscentennial", but I can't find extensive use of that.


Is there any word for what I'm looking for?

share|improve this question
Quarter of a century? That's the most common –  Bidella Feb 29 '12 at 0:14

5 Answers 5

A 25th anniversary is a silver jubilee or silver anniversary, and a celebration of that milestone would be a Silver Jubilee.

The corresponding 50th anniversary is a golden jubilee, after which usage varies; when celebrating personal achievements it is a diamond jubilee at 60 and platinum at 70, as in the reign of a monarch, but the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Boy Scouts of America, for example, was a diamond jubilee.

If you want to mark a period of time rather than the milestone, then quarter century would do the trick as well as simply saying 25th anniversary or 25 years.

share|improve this answer
You didn't answer the asked question, which is to find a word of the same form as bicentennial. –  jwpat7 Feb 29 '12 at 1:01
Right, I'm familiar with the those terms. But I'm looking for a word like bicentennial. –  Yahel Feb 29 '12 at 2:15
The stated question was "a word that means '25 years' in the way that 'bicentennial' refers to 200 years." I provided a phrase, but a phrase that means 25 years and which I use in the exact scenarios I use "bicentennial." If that's not sufficient, the OP needs to revise the question and be more specific. –  choster Feb 29 '12 at 20:40

Note the comments entry for quadranscentennial as a term for 25th anniversary in that Wikipedia link:

Probably a modern coined term

Probably correct, in my opinion.

There are a few usages of quadranscentennial as a 25th anniversary event e.g. the Bhutan Quadranscentennial of Apollo 11 commemorative stamp issued in 1994. But I am uncertain if that was a transcription or spelling error, as I could not find any confirmation from an official Bhutan website.

For wedding commemoration, or regency, a term in current use is "Silver Anniversary". Or "Silver Jubilee" in the case of regents. It isn't a Latin-ate term. But it is a commonly understood term.

share|improve this answer

A period of 25 years is a "Generation". The time from birth to someone having a child of their own and starting the next generation.

share|improve this answer

As you pointed out, quadranscentennial is the technical term and it is not widely used. I have seen either:

  • 25th Anniversary or
  • Every 25 years

Depending on whether you're talking about a one-time event (like a wedding anniversary) or a repeating event (none come to mind).

share|improve this answer
In this case, its my 25th birthday, and I'd like a nice word to describe the achievement of having survived for a quarter century. :) –  Yahel Feb 29 '12 at 2:16
In that case I would go with Silver Birthday, as others have said. I don't think a cooler name exists. –  Lynn Feb 29 '12 at 6:08

The term "quadrans" (like "quadrant") means a fourth or a quarter (it was the name of a Roman coin), so a quadranscentennial is a fourth of a centennial — i.e., 25 years.

share|improve this answer
Did you notice all the other answers with the same suggestion? –  Mitch Apr 4 '13 at 22:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.