The act, process, or practice of experimenting.
- Children need the opportunity for experimentation.
- Extensive experimentation is needed before new drugs can be sold.
- Experimentation with illegal drugs is dangerous.
A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.
- Some people believe that experiments on animals should be banned.
- Scientists are conducting/carrying out/doing
experiments to test the effectiveness of the new drug.
- I've bought a different kind of coffee this week as an experiment (=
in order to see what it is like).
- We can only find the best solution by experiment.