English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an English term to describe someone who is welcomed with high respect in a country, for example, the Chinese vice president on a recent trip to the US?

share|improve this question
A word somewhere between VIP and diplomat (between 'someone important' and 'a foreign government official')? – Mitch Feb 24 '12 at 14:13
up vote 5 down vote accepted

‘Dignitary’ is what I most commonly encounter, usually as ‘foreign dignitary’. As Sam says, this is mainly used for people who are in some official sense representing their country -- diplomats, ministers, high-ranking civil servants and the like.

Otherwise, I'd say the foreignity and esteem should be obvious from the rest of the story, and simply use the word ‘guest’. Make the official esteem clear by mentioning who is the host: ‘guest’ or ‘guest of the government’, or ‘guest of the royal house’, or ‘official guest’ --- that sort of thing. Or drop words like ‘official visit’ and ‘welcomed with égards’.

share|improve this answer
A dignitary would be more than just well-respected. It typically denotes a person of a certain political or religious rank or honor worthy of official recognition by the host government. – Sam Feb 24 '12 at 15:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.