English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the best way to express the margins of (i) the bounded side of a page and (ii) the edge side? I see people referring to them as left margin and right margin, but they are inaccurate. On even-numbered pages, what these people call left margin comes to the right and what they call right margin comes to the left. For the other two sides, I think top margin and bottom margin are okay.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

In the most succinct terminology, the outer margins are the "margins" and the inner margins are the "gutter".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.