English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
How do you call who writes comments in this board? Commenter or commentator?
Difference between “commentor” and “commentator”
Why do we say 'commentator' instead of 'commenter'?

I'm writing a bug report of a software which is about an Article Management Software and deals with a lot of comment issues. I need a word for someone who posts a comment. I thougt about the comment writer, author of the comment, etc. but none sounds what I want. Is there a word for someone who writes/posts a comment?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by RegDwigнt Feb 16 '12 at 14:49

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

You could use commenter or commentator, although correct it suggests heavy commenting in the style of scholar articles about an author. Therefore maybe comment poster if it's on a Web resource.

In your particular case, you could increase the use of the actor: i.e. test participants commented about.... Given that talking of the participants would imply that their main output is comments regarding what they have been shown.

share|improve this answer
+1 Commentator is appropriate – check123 Feb 16 '12 at 14:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.