English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Basic problems are often written as:

--      <-- Is there a name for this?

share|improve this question
All things considered, most things don't have names. For example, is there a name for the choice of using a column to indicate addition instead of a row (3 + -2 = 1)? Also, there are many things that we are familiar with that have names, but we (i.e., most people) don't know. For example, do you know the name of the bone from your elbow to your wrist? Neither do I. – Hexagon Tiling Feb 15 '12 at 12:16
I know this is not the point, but there are two bones in the forearm, and they are called the radius and the ulna. Doesn't every schoolchild learn that in basic biology? – nohat Feb 16 '12 at 5:51
up vote 1 down vote accepted

An underline. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addition#Notation_and_terminology

share|improve this answer
Although I believe it to be a technicality, as it appears that the answer is that there is no given name specific to this item, given the specific wikipedia reference that only uses the word underline, I am going to mark this as the answer. – user14070 Feb 16 '12 at 14:27

You may use vinculum or horizontal line in mathematical notation. Please check Mathforum and Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer
Vinculum appears to be only for division and repeat grouping notation, but thank you for teaching me a new word. – user14070 Feb 14 '12 at 17:30

I think "the equals line" would be understood if that's all you need (and if you can't come up with something better).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.