English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What will you call a person who loves to do things manually rather than using any technology tools.

share|improve this question
Do you have any more context to go a long with this? What kinds of things are they doing? Writing? Building furniture? Traveling? Also, are they anti-technologist? Are they just older and take too long to learn new things? Otherwise this question is too open ended. – Mitch Feb 7 '12 at 14:51

You could simply call such a person a traditionalist. I would say that they're old school.

share|improve this answer
+1 to "old-school" – Arthaey Angosii Feb 7 '12 at 23:52
By now, many things are not traditionally done by hand. – einpoklum Dec 23 '15 at 18:57
@einpoklum I suggest that you look up the actual meaning of traditional. – Gnawme Dec 31 '15 at 17:32
Traditions are not eternal, they also develop or fade over time. – einpoklum Dec 31 '15 at 17:58

Literally, a 'hands-on' person. More correctly, a 'literally hands-on' person.

share|improve this answer
This is not what the phrase "hands-on" means (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hands-on). I suppose you could use it this way, but you risk being misunderstood. – Urbycoz Feb 7 '12 at 9:43
I know, which is the reason I said literally. And there need be no doubt people would misunderstand at all. – Kris Feb 7 '12 at 9:50

Well I would say "Craftsman" or " Crafter" . "Luddite" sounds rather offensively and doesn´t convey the message of dexterity in his hands ...

share|improve this answer
Those work for jobs that involve something being created (e.g. Architect, Painter). But would they be suitable for other jobs, where nothing is actually being "crafted" (e.g. An accountant or administrator who prefers paper and pen to computers and calculators)? – Urbycoz Feb 7 '12 at 12:08
well in this case I would say " manualist" even though the name refers more to a person using sign language , still it sounds ok to me :) – ray Feb 7 '12 at 13:56

I like the term "maker", but I'm not sure that's quite what you want.

share|improve this answer
That only works if they are "making" something. – Urbycoz Feb 7 '12 at 12:17
Makers don't use machines or tools? – Kris Feb 7 '12 at 15:07
You're both correct - but I did say it's not quite right. – silves89 Feb 7 '12 at 15:40

Handcrafter comes close. It means a person who does handicraft. It doesn't quite cover the person who avoids electric pencil sharpeners and uses grass shears to trim his lawn.

A Luddite is an anti-industrialist, and by extension a person who opposes advancements in mass production or opposes changes in technology. It is not so much a person who personally prefers to do all things manually.

Craftsman or artisan is a person who practises a skilled trade. The person's output is unlikely to be mass produced. But a craftsman or artisan might use advanced technology, or very little technology, or anything in between.

share|improve this answer

You may want to call them a hedonistic artisan to reflect on their love of making things by hand.

share|improve this answer
However, if the question is referring to doing rather than making, you should consider technophobe, retrophile or even a nostalgist. – AndrewNimmo Feb 7 '12 at 13:59

I would probably call them a luddite

"The Luddites were a social movement of 19th-century English textile artisans who protested ... against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution"- Wikipedia

It's not terribly complimentary though, so it depends how you intend to mean it.

share|improve this answer
Luddite implies actively trying to sabotage use of mechanized means, or at least opposing it on principle. Not to mention the fact that whatever that person is doing by hand might itself involve technology, e.g. someone who assembles his car by hand. – einpoklum Dec 23 '15 at 18:59

I might call him a DIY kind of a person (a do-it-yourself kind of a person, see Wikipedia article), or say "he's into DIY".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.