English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need a two word phrase to refer to a community of people (academia + non-academia) who come together to share/exchange their knowledge/ideas openly on topics of their interests/ specializations.

I would appreciate the use of small and easier/common words for the phrase. Single words are also acceptable. Feel free to throw out your creative ideas and newly invented phrases.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Kit Z. Fox, Matt E. Эллен, aedia λ, Hugo, Mitch Feb 1 '12 at 23:24

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Have you thrown out the Thesauri? – Kris Jan 31 '12 at 9:46

Some possibilities include skills circle, boffins' venue, experts' salon, idea tribe.

You could make a list of a dozen "contents", that is, words suggestive of who will participate or what the subject matter will be (e.g.: boffin, brain, expert, idea, ivory, knowledge, learner, notion, savant, scholar, skill, student, think, thought, tyro) and a similar list of collectives (e.g.: academy, bunch, circle, class, collective, colloquium, conference, forum, group, meeting, salon, seminar, society, tank, team, tribe, trust, venue) and look at all combinations of same.

share|improve this answer
I like boffin! Put it with moot for Boffin-moot :) – AnWulf Jan 31 '12 at 16:24
Nice suggestions. I like them! – user01 Jan 31 '12 at 19:07
@AnWulf Boffin-moot!? Wonderful idea for a t-shirt: "Follow Me to the Boffinmoot." – Gnawme Jan 31 '12 at 21:05

I'd generally call that a "conference" or "convention", often abbreviated to "con" for non-professional gatherings such as Anime or Comic cons.

share|improve this answer

In North Carolina, they have the annual Folkmoot (folk+moot) which is a festival.

So if yu want to be creativ ... then put the "meeting subject" + moot.

share|improve this answer
Finland has the talkoot: "a gathering of friends and neighbors to accomplish a task, similar to a bee or a barn raising in English." – Hugo Jan 31 '12 at 19:35

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.