English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to find out what this symbol means and if it has a name:

I've seen it being used in word processors.

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Will Hunting, Mehper C. Palavuzlar, jwpat7, Mahnax, Daniel Jan 27 '12 at 19:47

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Voting to reopen. While the question can be easily answered with a single link, it's essentially impossible to find that link unless you already know the answer. – JSBձոգչ Jan 27 '12 at 19:48
@JSBngs: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/¶; – Cerberus Jan 27 '12 at 19:49
@Cerberus It's surprising to see that that actually works, and it's not at all obvious that you can look up punctuation marks that way. – JSBձոգչ Jan 27 '12 at 19:51
I didn't know I could search wikipedia for a symbol. Thanks. – c0smikdebris Jan 29 '12 at 4:24
up vote 26 down vote accepted

It's called a pilcrow.

From Wikipedia:

The pilcrow (¶), also called the paragraph mark, paragraph sign, paraph, alinea (Latin: a lineā, "off the line"), or blind P, is a typographical character commonly used to denote individual paragraphs.

share|improve this answer
Unicode has three related code points: ¶ U+00B6 PILCROW SIGN, ⁋ U+204B REVERSED PILCROW SIGN, and ❡ U+2761 CURVED STEM PARAGRAPH SIGN ORNAMENT. – tchrist Jan 27 '12 at 12:46
If you call it a pilcrow, very few people will know what you mean, unfortunately :( Better to call it a paragraph sign. – Mark Beadles Jan 27 '12 at 14:54
@Mark Beadles, very good point. I actually searched Google for "Paragraph sign" to find the answer, so I'd agree it's the more common parlance. – Andy F Jan 27 '12 at 16:41
for what it's worth, in LaTeX it is \textparagraph which supports the "paragraph" moniker – KennyPeanuts Jan 27 '12 at 17:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.