English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Dictionary.com defines Englishly as in the manner or style of the English people. Is there an adverb for the word English in the sense of English language? Is there one word for saying in English?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Daniel, FumbleFingers, Will Hunting, kiamlaluno, Mitch Jan 30 '12 at 21:18

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can you give context by including a sentence with the phrase you are after? I can't understand what you mean. I also have to admit if I heard someone use Englishly I would assume they were being facetious - it's a terrible word...despite it appearing back in the 1700's. – Rory Alsop Jan 27 '12 at 0:07
There's the "in English", which can be used adverbially. This is short enough that you don't need a single-word adverb that means the same thing. – Peter Shor Jan 27 '12 at 0:29
What is the "close" vote for? The question is on topic and shows research effort. – MετάEd Jan 27 '12 at 0:37
The close vote (not from me) was "too localized". – JeffSahol Jan 27 '12 at 3:13
We also have anglicism, anglicise, anglicisation, etc. (plus anglicization, which really ought to be Americanisation imho). So I think all useful concepts are covered without Englishy (yuk!) – FumbleFingers Jan 27 '12 at 3:59

English does not have an adverb which means "in English". We either use the word English by itself or say in English:

We have to speak English at school.

There are three verb tenses in English.

Some other languages have a one-word adverb that covers one or both of these senses, but English lacks this.

share|improve this answer

Oddly enough, the word for "in English,[or] according to the English way" is anglice, from mediaeval Latin.
See, e.g., here. Sometimes capitalised, but the OED prefers to italicise it:

1961 Observer 29 Mar. 29/3 Something called ‘cotton candy’ (anglice ‘candy floss’) is sold at seashore resorts.

share|improve this answer
Fascinatingly, this appears to be completely correct and is found in many dictionaries! Cool. But I'm not sure it's a good idea to use it; no one will know what you mean... – Mark Beadles Jan 27 '12 at 14:37
Anglice must be capitalized, and n.b. it's pronounced ANG-li-see. – rdhs Jan 27 '12 at 14:48
From the example given, it looks like this was basically a Latinate invention used in dictionaries/glossaries. I can't say I've seen it ever used in a modern work, and in any case there are all sorts of weird and wonderful abbreviations used in dictionaries that wouldn't be used in ordinary parlance. – Neil Coffey Jan 27 '12 at 15:58
@MarkBeadles not using an obscure word for fear of not being understood, is how words become obscure in the first place. – Pureferret Jan 27 '12 at 16:39
Well, the questioner here appears to be an English language learner, not a native speaker. So obscure terms might not be the most helpful. (On another note, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with words becoming obscure but that's neither here nor there.) – Mark Beadles Jan 27 '12 at 17:48

Sorry, misread the question. There are no English adverbs for behaving in the manner of languages. Insert joke about monolingual Brits or Americans here.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.