Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Dutch, for example in a newspaper, when someone is quoted, the redaction might decide to explain something, or add more information. This would be done using the 'red.' abbreviation (for redaction). Like this:

"Karen was very sad when Rodger ( her dog, red.) died..."

Does such an abbreviation exist in English, and is this something that is actually done in English texts?

share|improve this question
Elephant trap for Europeans: in English a redactor is somebody who removes, eg, confidential information from a published text. –  TimLymington Jan 26 '12 at 22:49

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In English, you would see such material in brackets, such as "Rodger [her dog] died..."

In some instances, you might see "Rodger [her dog --Ed.] died..." to make it plain that the editor added the explanation.

share|improve this answer
+1 for having [square brackets] as well as Ed. I think it's often understood that square brackets indicate editorial revision - round ones might even be verbatim. –  FumbleFingers Jan 26 '12 at 21:26

I'm not familiar with a word English would apply here. Usually, text inserted by an editor is set apart with square brackets, while stylistic changes are explained parenthetically. Longer explanatory text may be "signed" by the editor as well to clarify that it is not the product of the original author.

So, for the example given, I would say

"Karen was very sad when [her dog] Rodger died …"

"Karen was very sad when Rodger died …" … (emphasis added)

"Karen was very sad when Rodger died …" Rodger was Karen's beloved dog– Ed.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.