English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What is it called when an interjection is inserted inside another word?

Is there a term used to describe words such as un-fucking-believable or a-whole-nother? These words have other words inserted inside of the original word, creating a sort of compound word.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Mitch, RegDwigнt Jan 25 '12 at 22:30

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Tmesis is also used to describe this construction, when a lexical word is inserted as an intensifier. And yes, expletives are very often used as intensifiers in these cases.

It's also originally found in words like whatsoever/what-so-ever, howsoever/how-so-ever, etc., which are now words in their own right.

There are rules about where we stick the intensifier, based on prosody in English. We don't find *unbe-fucking-lievable but we do find abso-fucking-lutely. An interesting thing about a-whole-nother is where another is divided; it's not *an-whole-other as one would expect.

share|improve this answer

Yes, it's called an infix. Its use in English is confined to such examples, but it is a normal feature of some other languages.

share|improve this answer
Abso-bleedin'-lutely. – WS2 Mar 2 '15 at 9:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.