English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I search rather than Google and vacuum rather than Hoover. Technically I microblog rather than tweet, but it just doesn't sound as snappy. Is there a short (single syllable?), established, generic term I can use in case I switch to identi.ca?

share|improve this question
I had this issue for a very long time. Firstly I feel it is wrong to brand tweet as microblog. I feel it was more a convenience, during the initial stages of Twitter, to relate these short messages with something popular, and hence got associated with blogging. My personal opinion is that both tweet and blog serve different purposes, and should be taken differently. Hence I would not use microblog for tweet and vice versa. – user342898 Jan 25 '12 at 11:25
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Use microblog.

Here are the various verbs out there that Twitter competitors and users are actually using and therefore would be meaningful.

  • Identi.ca – microblog
  • Jaiku (defunct) – "share updates" and "share short messages"
  • Sprout – microblog
  • Plurk – plurk
  • Pownce (defunct) – "send stuff"
  • Tumblr - microblog
  • Yammer – microblog

I conclude that microblog is the accepted term in circulation that means publish via a short message service. The only shorter, snappier terms are vendor specific.

share|improve this answer

Microblog is the only verb that refers specifically to short public postings to social networking services like Twitter. However, in many contexts post and update, while more generic, will do.

For example,

“She wastes all of her time microblogging on Twitter.”

can be replaced with

“She wastes all of here time posting to Twitter.”

Post and update also apply in social networking contexts where microblog doesn't make sense. One does not microblog on Facebook, but one does post to Facebook.

share|improve this answer
I agree that "post" is a better short term. – ian Jan 2 '14 at 10:17

Just a historical note on what is an old question that has burbled back into activity.

My understanding was that "tumblelog" was the original term for posting short messages on a social media platform. Kottke.org has a nice definition from 2005: "A tumblelog is a quick and dirty stream of consciousness, a bit like a remaindered links style linklog but with more than just links." The same post also uses it as a verb ("tumblelogging"). This is also where the "Tumblr" name came from.

However, as this TechTarget definition suggests, "microblog/ging" is now the more common term.

FWIW. ;)

share|improve this answer

Zing, a verb meaning "To move very quickly, especially while making a high-pitched hum", might adapt to your purpose. Its major drawback is its variegated previous use.

An apposite choice is blat, a verb meaning "To cry, as a calf or sheep; to bleat; to make a senseless noise; to talk inconsiderately" and "To produce an overrich or overblown sound on a brass instrument such as a trumpet, trombone, or tuba". However, acceptance could be slow because some may see it as pejorative.

share|improve this answer

I'm not sure how widely used the term is (so I won't set this as an answer -- yet), but the Free Software Foundation use chirp as an alternative:

Chirp along with us on your microblogging service of choice

From FSF blog post of the same name.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.