English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a word for a person who became rich by cheating others? I want to use it in formal language.

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by FumbleFingers, Gnawme, Mehper C. Palavuzlar, Mahnax, Irene Jan 25 '12 at 10:30

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

There will be a lot of words, none of which will be the correct answer. Voting to close as "not constructive". – FumbleFingers Jan 25 '12 at 4:30
cheater--->swindler – Theta30 Jan 25 '12 at 4:32
these words donot tell the person has become rich by cheating others I believe – Balaswamy vaddeman Jan 25 '12 at 4:34
In UK English, many people will understand calling someone a Rachman to mean the person is being compared to "Britain's worst landlord", who became rich by charging extortionate rents (effectively, cheating his tenants). – FumbleFingers Jan 25 '12 at 5:12
'robber baron' is one kind. – Mitch Jan 25 '12 at 12:31