English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Modem is a common word for modulator/demodulator. Is there a word that in a similar fashion (or in general) would describe the encoder and decoder functionality presented in one piece?

share|improve this question
I disagree with the NARQ close vote, as this question has been reasonably answered in its current form. – user11550 Jan 21 '12 at 20:25
Over-enthusiasm! or maybe, there's a better word for it. – Kris Jan 22 '12 at 5:57
What about general reference? – MετάEd Jan 24 '12 at 0:25
up vote 10 down vote accepted

A codec or endec encodes and decodes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.