English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When you are listening to music and you continue to turn the volume up, there is a certain point where you just sorta feel "full" of the music. It is a fabulous feeling. Is there a specific word for this?

I thought nirvana may apply but I wasn't sure.

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by Will Hunting, aedia λ, FumbleFingers, slim, onomatomaniak Jan 19 '12 at 20:47

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Ouchmyearsarebleeding? Or callmybrokerandbyhearingaidstock? Not that I don't like some music so loud that you can feel it, but it is very bad for your hearing. – dmckee Jan 19 '12 at 19:04
Umm, "nirvana" is a word with a specific meaning in Buddhist theology that has nothing to do with music. It has acquired a general meaning of "feeling of extreme well-being", that has, as far as I can figure out, nothing to do with the Buddhist meaning. I suppose you could use it to describe your feeling about music, but it's certainly not specific to that. – Jay Jan 19 '12 at 19:15
I'm not talking about that loud. I mean like 90 decibels. – SamB Jan 19 '12 at 19:23
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Eleven, as in "These go to eleven."

You'd probably enjoy these songs, then.

share|improve this answer

I'd say my body is vibrating to the music.

share|improve this answer
I call it, "The point just before my head explodes." – Jay Jan 19 '12 at 19:16

I'd say that you have reached the point of corporal resonance... but I don't think there's any specific word for such a feeling.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.