English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call a person who is unwilling to share information?

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by RegDwigнt Jan 19 '12 at 10:44

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Unwilling to share what kind of information? With whom? Under which circumstances? For what reasons? You have to be more precise, otherwise you'll get a dozen answers that are all equally right, and all equally wrong. – RegDwigнt Jan 19 '12 at 10:44

One possibility is to use:

reticent (n.): not willing to provide information about something, especially about yourself or your feelings.

share|improve this answer

In addition to Mehper's answer, I'd suggest discreet might be a good word, if you mean this in the approving sense, or close (meaning 18: Secretive; reticent: "was close about her personal life" ) otherwise. Secretive might also apply in extreme cases.

share|improve this answer

I would use secretive.

Secretive: inclined to secrecy or reticence about divulging information.

share|improve this answer

I would submit: Paranoid.

Use with caution.

share|improve this answer

If it is about private information, the person could be said to be privacy aware.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.