English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Deenroll? Unenroll? I understand words like cancel and resign would work, but is there an appropriate antonym with "enroll" in it?

share|improve this question
Which sense of "enroll"? – Mustafa Jan 17 '12 at 20:56
up vote 18 down vote accepted

Disenroll, "To cancel enrolment; to remove oneself from a list" may be the word you want.

It is in common use, for example as a bit of legal jargon for leaving an insurance plan:

A member may only disenroll from an MA plan during one of the four election periods noted above. ... When the date of death is unknown, the carrier may take action to disenroll the individual on the date...

share|improve this answer
A perfectly documented answer. +1 – Irene Jan 17 '12 at 21:03
Also, many educational institutions seem to use the term frequently with reference to courses and programs. – Kris Jan 18 '12 at 6:29

If you are talking about what to do after you enroll in a class, but want to not be enrolled anymore, then you would


from it.

share|improve this answer
Another common antonym for schooling in general is drop out (e.g. dropping out of high school), and people will often say they dropped a class in college. These are fairly colloquial, though. – Reid Jan 18 '12 at 4:01

Enroll can also be used passively/transitively, e.g. you can be enrolled onto a medical register- in which sense the antonym could be "strike off".

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Jan 11 '13 at 16:49

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.