English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The appendix is what is appended to something. How do we call something that is prepended to something else?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

When describing parts of a book, the "preface" or "prologue" are common.

share|improve this answer
This is correct. Except for its anatomical meaning, "appendix" refers specifically to an addition to the end of a written work, usually a book. It is not a general term for something added after something else, although it could be used that way in a metaphorical sense. So the corresponding "in front of" meaning would be what @ptomato says. – Robusto Nov 24 '10 at 13:19

Accordingly to http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/prepend there is no such thing as "to prepend"

The correct English word is "prefix;" for example, "the header is prefixed to the packet." See prefix.


prefix: The beginning or to add to the beginning

share|improve this answer
True - but this doesn't answer the question that you asked! – Steve Melnikoff Nov 24 '10 at 11:58
@Steve it does! the answer is "prefix" – Jader Dias Nov 24 '10 at 12:00
"Prefix" is the opposite of "suffix". The opposite of "appendix" is less obvious, but ptomato's suggestions are closer (in my opinion). – Steve Melnikoff Nov 24 '10 at 12:13
OED says "prepend, v. To add at the beginning, to prefix, prepose" with earliest citation from 1872. – Gareth Rees Nov 24 '10 at 15:16
@Gareth and there is 7,680 Google results for prependix – Jader Dias Nov 24 '10 at 15:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.