English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When you're reading an article, often you'll see a quote from the very same article written in large, bold letters. I guess it's supposed to entice skimmers to read it or some such. What is that called?

share|improve this question
@Kris Couldn't find it ... can you link the duplicate question? – MετάEd Jan 16 '12 at 16:20
This should help: ux.stackexchange.com/questions/15029/… – Kris Jan 17 '12 at 4:25
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Two of the main terms for this are callout and pull quote, the former meaning "A pull quote: an excerpt from an article (such as in a news magazine) that is duplicated in a large font alongside the article so as to grab a reader's attention and indicate the article's topic", and the latter "In newspaper and magazine publishing, a brief excerpt drawn from an article and used out of context."

Related terms (but not such as the question asks for) include sidebar, "a short news story printed alongside a larger one" or "information placed at the side of a webpage"; hook in the sense "A brief, punchy opening statement intended to draw the reader or viewer into a book or play"; and blurb, "A short description of a book, film, musical work, or other product written and used for promotional purposes." Like callouts, box quotes, or pull quotes, these items may appear in large bright type to attract attention.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.