English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I tried Google and looking around already, but having trouble with the terminology to continue. Thanks in advance!

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Brendon, aedia λ, jwpat7, Gnawme, Mitch Jan 14 '12 at 20:28

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Are you talking about surrender in a conflict, or some other context? – aedia λ Jan 14 '12 at 2:36
In the surrender context. – stanigator Jan 14 '12 at 3:19
You can often find phrasal verbs like give up in various dictionaries (surrender, quit, relinquish, forlet, abandon...) and thesauruses (capitulate, knuckle under, submit, succumb...). – aedia λ Jan 14 '12 at 4:13
'How about 'uncle'? – Mitch Jan 14 '12 at 20:28

How about concede? Usually used like this: "I concede" or "He conceded defeat."

share|improve this answer
That'll work. Thanks! – stanigator Jan 14 '12 at 3:58
Good one! I think this is by far the best word from all answers and comments, because it embodies all the relevant meaning, without significant special nuances. An army could condede [defeat] in a war - but one could equally, for example, concede [a fine point] in the context of a low-key dispute with someone over some detail of usage here on ELU. Most alternatives don't sit so comfortably across the whole gamut of contexts. – FumbleFingers Jan 14 '12 at 15:36

How about "yield?" It's a bit old-fashioned, but has the right connotation.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.