Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any English grammar book which describe how to talk/write English instead of understand English?

For example instead of detailing all situation where "would/will" is used, describing all different way to talk about past (or now, future, etc.)

I mean a book which I can refer to to find out all different way to talk about past or how to ask/request politely.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by kiamlaluno, Jasper Loy, Kit Z. Fox, Matt E. Эллен, Mitch Jan 4 '12 at 13:43

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Why this question has been considered off topic and closed?! –  JohnS Jan 4 '12 at 22:16
Please read the FAQ--we don't want open-ended questions here. Further, your question isn't about the English language itself (usage) but rather a subjective question looking for a resource. –  simchona Jan 5 '12 at 8:26
"we don't want open-ended questions here" totally arrogant and selfish statement! This question is completely answerable if there is any answer for it. –  JohnS Jan 5 '12 at 12:36
Is there one right answer? No, it's based on opinion. –  simchona Jan 5 '12 at 18:53
What about english.stackexchange.com/questions/1482/… ? There is no single answer for most of question here because of the nature of topics. But there can be some nearly right answer for this question. –  JohnS Jan 5 '12 at 19:11

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

The most comprehensive grammar book for foreign learners of English that I know of is the 'Cambridge Grammar of English'. If you follow the link to the Amazon site, you'll be able to look at the contents and some of the pages to see if it's what you want.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I'm reading sample chapters available online. –  JohnS Jan 5 '12 at 12:39

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.