Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm referring to people in bright orange or green vests who direct automobiles. I thought of road workers, but it's not specifically around road work. Is there a word for "traffic-directors"?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
One major distinction is based on whether they are police or construction workers. Your picture looks like a traffic cop in the U.S. –  Peter Rowell Dec 31 '11 at 1:58
And in the US a "road worker" may be using a pick or a jackhammer, or may be picking up litter, or something. Not directing traffic. –  GEdgar Dec 31 '11 at 2:08
In Australia at least when a police officer is doing this, the task is termed point duty. But I'm not sure what the person doing it would be called. –  hippietrail Dec 3 '13 at 17:18

4 Answers 4

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Such a person may be called a traffic director, traffic controller or traffic conductor.

share|improve this answer
I don't understand the upvotes. Not one of these terms is commonly (or uncommonly) used to describe the person in the OP's photograph. (Plus, traffic director is not another word for traffic-directors.) –  Gnawme Dec 31 '11 at 19:20

They're called traffic cops in the US. (Or, more formally, traffic police.)

share|improve this answer
Take care. "Cop" is very informal. If you don't intend to be informal, say "traffic policeman" –  slim Dec 31 '11 at 5:16
@slim The word cop is certainly in the vernacular here in the US. (Only AHED flags it as informal.) In writing, I would use traffic officer or traffic police or the like if the context required it. Then again, that's not what the OP was asking. –  Gnawme Dec 31 '11 at 6:43

It looks like the (US) industry term is flagger, that is, if it's not specifically a traffic cop.

share|improve this answer
I would say a flagger would have a flag to stop or slow traffic while something else happens on the road. He does not direct traffic in general. –  GEdgar Dec 31 '11 at 18:38

If they're police officers, than as Gnawme says the common term is "traffic cop".

Construction workers who are working on a road or something near a road so that they are interfering with traffic will normally have one of their members direct traffic. This person used to be called a "flagman". In these politically-correct days, he or she is now called a "flagger". (While I don't have statistics on this, from my anecdotal observation, these days if the construction crew is more than 2 or 3 people the flagger is almost always a woman.)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.