English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So, yes, I have been losing weight, so far down 4kg and 2 to 3 inches in waist.

I am happy and when I was trying to say to someone that now I can wear my belt tighter, I don't know how to say it because I wonder:

  • Is there a specific name for the holes on the belt?
  • Is there a specific verb for wearing a belt?

In the end, I said "I can now comfortably buckle 2 to 3 holes tighter when wearing my belt."

Sure, it is easy enough to be understood, but is there a better way of expressing that? Also, can I use "buckle" here for belt, in a same sense that it is used in "buckle up" (car seat-belt)? I know the word buckle actually refers to the rectangular metal thing that holds the belt in place, but the best I could think of is "buckle two holes tighter".

share|improve this question
Related: Up or down a notch? – RegDwigнt Dec 29 '11 at 15:02
If you're happy about the situation then be careful to imply that when describing your belt; belt-related idioms in English often imply undesired weight loss. If someone says for instance that their company is "belt-tightening" it usually means that there have been layoffs or a reduction in employee benefits or some other unpleasant cost-cutting measures. – Eric Lippert Dec 29 '11 at 16:31
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Notch is the word you are looking for to refer to holes in the belt. And I think there is no specific word for "wearing a belt", this is correct as per my knowledge. And I tightened my belt after losing some weight. It's similar to "tightening shoe lace".

share|improve this answer
I have absolutely no idea why the word "notch" didn't come to mind at the time. Thanks. – Gapton Dec 30 '11 at 2:35
You are welcome :) we don't use the word Notch regularly in our day to day conversation probably that is why it didn't come to your mind. – Apoorva Dec 30 '11 at 5:20

I would suggest you say:

Since I lost some weight I've been able to cinch my belt tighter.

share|improve this answer

Notch refers to the holes in a belt. However, it is the flopper that sticks inside the notch. Hence, I believe the following sentence would be appropriate.

I can now comfortably flopper two to three notches tighter (or down) when wearing a belt.

share|improve this answer
I would find "I can now wear my belt two or three notches tigher" clearer. – Henry Dec 29 '11 at 12:26
Even clearer, in my mind: I can now tighten my belt two or three extra notches. – onomatomaniak Dec 29 '11 at 14:37
I don't think this definition of flopper is widely understood or used. In fact, the three dictionaries I just checked (dictionary.com, merriam-webster, and wiktionary) do not contain anything resembling this definition. Are you sure you have the right word? – Marthaª Dec 29 '11 at 16:12
Now that just sounds dirty. – Nate Eldredge Dec 29 '11 at 16:53
Flopper is seldom used. I blame my memory, but I read it in a book as the flopper referring to the stick. But am sure flopper is the word I read, don't remember the book though. – javaDisciple Dec 30 '11 at 5:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.