English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the single word that describes a person who always gossips? (For example, telling things about others which are not true.)

share|improve this question
You should note that gossip is not always false. – onomatomaniak Dec 28 '11 at 10:23
@Theta30 that's assuming you know that gossiper is a valid noun; if OP had, s/he presumably wouldn't have asked the question. – onomatomaniak Dec 28 '11 at 14:09
Are you looking for a noun or an adjective? – tchrist Jun 25 '14 at 14:55

Er... perhaps a gossip? You may also see gossipmonger and gossiper, but in US English just plain old gossip is the standard noun.

share|improve this answer
And also in the UK. – RandomIdeaEnglish Dec 28 '11 at 10:15
Wonder why the hesitation and the 'perhaps'! Any reservations? – Kris Dec 28 '11 at 11:39
The perhaps was a bit ironic, as the answer was contained in the question itself. – onomatomaniak Dec 28 '11 at 12:30

As onomatomaniak said, a person who habitually spreads rumors or engages in indiscreet talk (ie. gossips) can be referred to as a gossip. One thing to note, this would be independent of whether the things he or she tells are true or not.

Alternatively, you could also describe such a person as a rumourmonger, or even a scandalmonger, depending on the nature of the gossip and the intent.

share|improve this answer

One might call such a person a quidnunc, although that might be thought somewhat out-of-date nowadays. Merriam-Webster suggests quidnunc is more likely to be someone keen on hearing the latest gossip than repeating it, but I have never met anyone who just listened to scandal and rumour without passing it on.

share|improve this answer

Taleteller: One who tells tales or stories, especially in a mischievous or officious manner; a talebearer; a telltale; a tattler.

Slanderer: One who makes false and injurious statements about another, one who slanders, one who defames, one who maligns.

Backbiter: One who slanders, calumniates, or speaks ill of the absent; person who says nasty things about another person behind the second person's back: that is, out of sight and hearing of the second person.

share|improve this answer

Gossip should be your top answer but you should consider blab , too. It means an incessant or indiscreet talker. Hope that will help you mate.

share|improve this answer
Thank you all :) – Prasanna Dec 28 '11 at 10:18
I'm in the UK, and I don't think I've ever heard He is a blab. But this NGram strongly suggests this is primarily British usage. Blabbermouth, which sounds completely normal to me, appears to be the dominant American form. – FumbleFingers Dec 28 '11 at 16:31
Well I guess you are right mate, I am just an ordinary not native who has found the word in the dictionary :D I will try to remember blabbermouth - it sounds interesting. Cool nickname, mate. – speedyGonzales Dec 29 '11 at 7:14

What is the single word that describes a person who always gossips? (For example, telling things about others which are not true.)

Tattle tail: One who tattles (reports others' wrongdoings), often by a child seeking attention.

ps: you did say that the person always gossips, whether they are true or not. the fact that they do it a lot could mean that the person thrives on it, suggests that it can be a child-like behavior seeking attention.

share|improve this answer
The correct spelling is tattletale, or tattle-tale, it's an easy one to get wrong, I had to think a bit before I realized. Good suggestion, though. Could you edit your answer, and perhpas include the link which you appeared to have quoted from: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tattletale. Thanks! – Mari-Lou A Nov 14 '14 at 3:23

Gossip or gossiper. People can also say blabber (root word: blab).

share|improve this answer
Please note that both gossip and gossiper are both given in the highest voted answer. You might do better to remove those and edit your answer to include an example of how to use blab and blabber – Matt E. Эллен Jun 25 '14 at 10:11

protected by tchrist Mar 1 '15 at 19:25

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.